- The Jammu and Kashmir government orders winding up of the Jammu and Kashmir State Human Rights Commission (SHRC), State Information Commission (SIC) and State Commission for Protection of Women & Child Rights (SCPWCR) with effect from October 31 this year so that new commissions can be set up in the state.
Click to Read – Times of India
- President Ram Nath Kovind, signs a warrant appointing Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde as the next Chief Justice of India who shall take oath as CJI on November 18, 2019.
Click to Read – Economics Times
- S. President Donald Trump announces the death of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi who was killed during a raid by US special forces in Syria after being chased “crying and screaming” into a dead-end tunnel, where he ignited an explosives vest.
Click to Read – Independent UK
- Top Trump administration official expresses concern over the detention of political leaders in the state of Jammu & Kashmir after the abrogation of Article 370 urging India to balance its security priorities with respect for Human Rights in the state.
- Japanese academician and diplomat Sadako Ogata who became the first female to be appointed UN High Commissioner for Refugees dies at the age of 92.
- The European Parliament awards its Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought to Ilham Tohti, an economist fighting for the rights of China’s Uighur minority and the implementation of regional autonomy laws in China.
- A new report by the Australian Human Rights Commission, on the use of force in immigration detention, has called for a public inquiry, and recommended compensation to be paid in multiple cases for unjustifiable use of force as out of the fourteen cases that were investigated by the commission, nine were found to be in breach of international Human Rights law.
- Despite taking controversial steps to lift a ban on elephant hunting and usher in the decriminalization of homosexuality South African President Mokgweetsi Masisi set to serve another term in his office.
Click to Read – New York Times
- UN independent Human Rights expert talks before the General Assembly regarding the responsibility and legal obligation of the international community to compel Israel to end its 52 year-long “occu-annexation” of Palestinian territory and remove barriers preventing Palestinian self-determination.
- The top UN Human Rights official calls for politicians and civil society in Chile to engage in “immediate dialogue” to resolve the deadly crisis which has been gripping the nation in recent days.